Overheated furnace fire foscoe Christian church boone nc - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Officials: Overheated furnace sparks fire, destroys church

Posted: Updated:
FOSCOE, NC (WBTV) -

Investigators say an overheated furnace sparked a fire at a Watauga County church late Monday night, causing the church to burn down.

According to officials, the furnace overheated and started a fire at the Foscoe Christian Church along the 8800 block of Highway 105 S.

The wind spread the fire through the church around 11 p.m. Monday night.  The blaze was rekindled early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters  told WBTV this was one if the most difficult fires they have ever had to tackle because of the low temperatures.

Temperatures ranged between minus seven and minus five at the time of the fire.

No one was injured in the fire. The church was destroyed.

Copyright 2014 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow