Child hospitalized after being choked by rope on daycare playgro - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Child hospitalized after being choked by rope on daycare playground

Posted: Updated:
LANCASTER, SC (WBTV) -

The playground at Burbee Place childcare center was quiet Thursday, but that wasn't the case Wednesday morning when a three-year-old child accidentally hanged himself with a jump rope while going down a slide.

WBTV spoke with the daycare's owner, Mark Burbee, by phone Thursday evening.

"Evidently he had it (the jump rope) around his neck. The child was sliding down the slide and got choked," said Burbee.

According to Lancaster Police, the little boy was breathing, but unresponsive.

Officers say two daycare employees took the child to the emergency room at Springs Memorial Hospital where the boy was treated.

"This was a terrifying experience and fortunately the teachers at the daycare reacted quickly and get him the help he needed," said Burbee.

The little boy was transferred to the Levine Children's Hospital in Charlotte for treatment.

Burbee says the three-year-old is doing better, Thursday night.

"I can tell you that he is fine I talked to his mother several times and he is doing fine. It seems like he's back to his normal self," he said.

Burbee is already taking precautions to make sure this type of incident doesn't happen again.

"We took all the jump ropes off the playground. That's the first thing we've done," said Burbee.

Lancaster Police continue to investigate, although they believe this was just an unfortunate accident.

Authorities say no charges have been filed against the daycare workers.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow