Fire displaces 19 people in Union County apartment building

MONROE, NC (WBTV) - 19 people in a Monroe apartment building are living elsewhere right now, after a fire destroyed their homes Thursday night.

Video shows much of the building on Icemorelee street was charred after flames spread through it. Firefighters tell WBTV each of the four units inside suffered serious damage.

All four families inside the building got out safely. No residents or firefighters were hurt.

One woman says she learned of the fire from a knock on the door.

"I didn't hear anything. The only thing I know is that my neighbor knocked on my door. He told me to grab my kids and get out of the house there was a fire," the woman said.

It's not clear what caused the fire.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.