Ervin planning second run for NC Supreme Court in 2014 - | WBTV Charlotte

Ervin planning second run for NC Supreme Court in 2014

Appeals Court Judge Sam Ervin IV said Tuesday he plans to run for a seat on the NC Supreme Court in 2014 Appeals Court Judge Sam Ervin IV said Tuesday he plans to run for a seat on the NC Supreme Court in 2014

 

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - A North Carolina Court of Appeals judge says he's going to run for the state's highest court again in 2014 after losing a bid for the Supreme Court last year.

Judge Sam J. Ervin IV announced Tuesday his decision to seek the seat being vacated by Associate Justice Mark Martin.

Martin already has announced he's running for the chief justice's position because incumbent Sarah Parker must retire according to state law. Court of Appeals Judge Bob Hunter of Morehead City said in May he wants the current Martin seat as well.

Ervin narrowly lost to incumbent Associate Justice Paul Newby last November in a race marked by millions of dollars spent by outside partisan groups and corporations in what was officially a nonpartisan race. Most spending backed Newby.

Click here to see an interview with Ervin during the 2012 campaign.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • Supreme Court strikes down 2 NC congressional districts

    Supreme Court strikes down 2 NC congressional districts

    Monday, May 22 2017 8:36 PM EDT2017-05-23 00:36:20 GMT
    Monday, May 22 2017 8:36 PM EDT2017-05-23 00:36:20 GMT

    The Supreme Court has struck down two congressional districts in North Carolina because race played too large a role in their creation.

    More >>

    The Supreme Court has struck down two congressional districts in North Carolina because race played too large a role in their creation.

    More >>
  • Rep. Davis co-sponsors bill to charge sex offenders registration fees

    Rep. Davis co-sponsors bill to charge sex offenders registration fees

    Wednesday, May 17 2017 7:37 AM EDT2017-05-17 11:37:43 GMT
    Rep. Ted Davis of New Hanover County is one of four primary sponsors of a bill proposing to charge criminals who are required to register with the state's Sex Offender Registry. (Source: WECT)Rep. Ted Davis of New Hanover County is one of four primary sponsors of a bill proposing to charge criminals who are required to register with the state's Sex Offender Registry. (Source: WECT)

    Convicted sex offenders would be required to pay a fee to be listed on North Carolina’s Sex Offender Registry, under a bill co-sponsored by Rep. Ted Davis of New Hanover County.   

    More >>

    Convicted sex offenders would be required to pay a fee to be listed on North Carolina’s Sex Offender Registry, under a bill co-sponsored by Rep. Ted Davis of New Hanover County.   

    More >>
  • NC Senate approves budget

    NC Senate approves budget

    Friday, May 12 2017 7:47 AM EDT2017-05-12 11:47:38 GMT
    The state Senate will reconvene a few minutes after midnight Thursday, to take a final vote on the $22.9 billion budget plan. (Source: WECT)The state Senate will reconvene a few minutes after midnight Thursday, to take a final vote on the $22.9 billion budget plan. (Source: WECT)

    The state Senate will reconvene shortly after midnight Thursday, to give final approval to the chamber's budget plan. 

    More >>

    The state Senate will reconvened shortly after midnight Thursday, then passed the budget plan around 3 a.m. Friday.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly