CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - These days it is so much easier to get into shape and stay fit. Want to track calories? There's an app for that. Want to get on a fitness kick and cheer on your friends? There's an app for that.
As you use these apps we want to make sure you also protect your privacy and security.
WBTV Cyber Expert Theresa Payton shares her advice for what she personally looks for, and quick tips for protecting your privacy:
2. Does your wellness app ask for access to your contacts and other apps? Ask yourself why and limit or turn off that access
3. Research how they transmit your data - is it encrypted? do they send anything about you and your data to 3rd party sites?
4. Assume anything you put into the app might be intentionally or accidentally shared
5. Location check ins: make sure that if you use this feature that you limit the check in broadcast to just your close circle of friends
6. If you don't see the answers to questions 1-5, call or write the app maker and ask them!