Boone hotel cleared to reopen - | WBTV Charlotte

Boone hotel cleared to reopen


A Boone hotel where three people died of carbon monoxide poisoning this year has been cleared to reopen.

A limited certificate of occupancy was issued Thursday afternoon to the Best western Hotel. Town officials said it was a "limited" certificate because the hotel will be required to keep the pool area closed.

Investigators determined in June that carbon monoxide from a pool heater leaked into a room above the pool, room 225, and killed an elderly couple in April and an 11 year old boy in June.

The hotel has been shut down since the second incident.

Planning Director Bill Bailey said in June he believed the heater in question was put in without proper permits and was improperly installed. The Planning and Inspections Department sent a letter in June demanding the hotel provide paperwork to prove it followed codes when it installed the heater.

Late Wednesday, just as the deadline to respond was expiring, a response was received at the department. Officials are still assessing that response but told WBTV news that some questions were not answered and the hotel denied any wrongdoing.

The Planning and Inspections Department  could order a hearing to look into the case further.

No decision has been made on that and likely won't be made, said officials, until the Boone Police Department completes its investigation.

"When it is complete we will turn it over to the District Attorney for him to decide if criminal charges should be filed," said Captain Andy LeBeau on Wednesday.

That police report, though, is still a few weeks away from completion, he said.

As for when the hotel will reopen, the Planning Department said that is entirely up to the hotel now. As of Thursday afternoon, though, reservations were not being accepted. 

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly