NASCAR Mike Harmon stolen vehicle arrest police Jennifer Jo Cobb - | WBTV Charlotte

NASCAR driver accused of stealing competitor's vehicles turns himself in

Mike Harmon Mike Harmon
Jennifer Jo Cobb (Source: JenniferJoCobb.com) Jennifer Jo Cobb (Source: JenniferJoCobb.com)
MOORESVILLE, NC (WBTV) -

 

A NASCAR driver turned himself in to authorities after arrest warrants were issued for him and a business partner. Investigators say they stole at least seven vehicles from a competitor.

According to the Rowan County Sheriff's Office, warrants were issued for driver Mike Harmon and business partner David Novak Monday afternoon.

Davud Novak, Harmon's business partner, turned himself in over the weekend.

Each man is wanted on breaking and entering and larceny after breaking and entering.

Harmon turned himself in to Cleveland County authorities Monday around 5 p.m. He then posted a $10,000 bond, for both charges combined.

WBTV was there as deputies recovered two cars and five trucks from Harmon's two garages in late May. Deputies say Harmon stole the cars from racer Jennifer Jo Cobb at the end of last year.
 
The vehicles were seized from Harmon's shop in Mooresville, and from a storage facility in Catawba County, officials told WBTV.

Harmon was arrested in mid-May in a separate incident, also involving Cobb. Authorities say Harmon broke into Cobb's Mooresville headquarters, and stole her hauler to transport cars and trucks.

VIDEO: Surveillance video of the trailer being stolen - http://youtu.be/WTcGVQstLTA 

WBTV spoke with Harmon just moments after he posted bail on the initial charge.
 
"I've never stolen as much as a piece of bubble gum. To be arrested for a felony is ridiculous," Harmon said.
 
Harmon says he never took Cobb's hauler, and insists there's more to the story.
 
"People that know me know that I didn't do this. It's ridiculous. You know everyone's shop is under surveillance. My shop is under surveillance," he said.

In an application for a search warrant, detectives stated that Harmon indicated to deputies on May 13th that he knew where the race hauler was being held, but wouldn't reveal the location unless deputies promised that it would not be returned to Cobb.

Detectives say a black semi-truck, similar to the one seen hauling Cobb's trailer away in surveillance video, was seen at Harmon's garage.

Harmon reportedly agreed to get the hauler back and deliver it to deputies on May 14. When Harmon didn't show up, the paperwork states, he was called by detectives and said that he had changed his mind and was prepared to be arrested, if needed.

According to the search warrant, on the day of the theft Harmon asked his truck driver to leave the keys in the truck after returning from a trip to Darlington.
 
A judge ordered Harmon to stay away from Cobb, though the two both say they plan to finish this year's racing season.
 
"I'm a big believer in God's will, so perhaps this happened for a bigger better cause or reason," Cobb said after Harmon's initial arrest.

Novak had not been arrested as of Monday afternoon. At last check, Cobb's hauler was still missing.
 
Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Motorcycle accident injures two

    Motorcycle accident injures two

    Thursday, February 22 2018 7:19 AM EST2018-02-22 12:19:56 GMT
    (WBTV graphic)(WBTV graphic)
    (WBTV graphic)(WBTV graphic)

    Two people were hurt in a motorcycle accident in Rowan County on Wednesday night, according to officials. 

    More >>

    Two people were hurt in a motorcycle accident in Rowan County on Wednesday night, according to officials. 

    More >>
  • He tried to kill a Charlotte woman. She survived and helped convict him of murder.

    He tried to kill a Charlotte woman. She survived and helped convict him of murder.

    Thursday, February 22 2018 6:49 AM EST2018-02-22 11:49:03 GMT
    Tim Crumitie, shown with Assistant Public Defender Emily Wallwork on the first day of his trial, was convicted of first-degree murder Wednesday in the 2016 shooting of Michael Gretsinger, a romantic rival. (Credit: John D. Simmons/The Charlotte Observer)Tim Crumitie, shown with Assistant Public Defender Emily Wallwork on the first day of his trial, was convicted of first-degree murder Wednesday in the 2016 shooting of Michael Gretsinger, a romantic rival. (Credit: John D. Simmons/The Charlotte Observer)
    Tim Crumitie, shown with Assistant Public Defender Emily Wallwork on the first day of his trial, was convicted of first-degree murder Wednesday in the 2016 shooting of Michael Gretsinger, a romantic rival. (Credit: John D. Simmons/The Charlotte Observer)Tim Crumitie, shown with Assistant Public Defender Emily Wallwork on the first day of his trial, was convicted of first-degree murder Wednesday in the 2016 shooting of Michael Gretsinger, a romantic rival. (Credit: John D. Simmons/The Charlotte Observer)

    On a summer night in 2016, Tim Crumitie put two bullets in the head of his former girlfriend to eliminate the only eyewitness to his execution-style shooting that night of a romantic rival.

    More >>

    On a summer night in 2016, Tim Crumitie put two bullets in the head of his former girlfriend to eliminate the only eyewitness to his execution-style shooting that night of a romantic rival.

    More >>
  • After Florida shooting, teens say Charlotte could be next. And they want to be ready.

    After Florida shooting, teens say Charlotte could be next. And they want to be ready.

    Thursday, February 22 2018 6:44 AM EST2018-02-22 11:44:36 GMT
    Students at a special meeting of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Youth Voice brainstorm ideas for responding to school shootings. (Credit: Ann Doss Helms | The Charlotte Observer)Students at a special meeting of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Youth Voice brainstorm ideas for responding to school shootings. (Credit: Ann Doss Helms | The Charlotte Observer)
    Students at a special meeting of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Youth Voice brainstorm ideas for responding to school shootings. (Credit: Ann Doss Helms | The Charlotte Observer)Students at a special meeting of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Youth Voice brainstorm ideas for responding to school shootings. (Credit: Ann Doss Helms | The Charlotte Observer)

    Charlotte teens who were born into an era of mass school shootings said Tuesday that last week’s attack on a Florida high school hit them harder than any other.

    More >>

    Charlotte teens who were born into an era of mass school shootings said Tuesday that last week’s attack on a Florida high school hit them harder than any other.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly