Tri-state remembers March 2, 2012 tornados one year later - | WBTV Charlotte

Tri-state remembers March 2 tornados one year later

PINER, KY (FOX19) -

Saturday marks the one year anniversary of the powerful tornados that pushed through parts of northern Kentucky and Ohio.

The storm began in Kentucky and traveled into Ohio through the hard hit areas of Franklin, Tate and Washington Townships and the Village of Moscow. The community has been rebuilding throughout the year.   

In the state of Kentucky, 25 people were killed in the tornados. More than 4,500 homes were affected. Of these homes, 671 were destroyed and 588 had major damage.

An EF4 tornado ripped through Piner, Kentucky and parts of Crittenden causing heavy damage. Four people were killed and eight others were injured after 175 mph winds tore through the area.

Ohio also suffered major damages in areas. Moscow, Ohio was hit particularly hard. The Village's post office has only been recently re-opened on Thursday.

Some have been able to rebuild. For others, rebuilding is still in progress. In the midst of the rebuilding process, many are optimistic.    

"Today is a day to celebrate. It's a day to remember," said Piner resident Bill Schneider. "It's a day to mourn a little bit but basically celebrate what we've been through and how we've recovered so far."

The recovery process has been slow, but the communities affected by the tornadoes are thankful for the help they have been given.  

"It wasn't just our neighbors helping out," said Schneider. "It was folks from all over the tri-state that were helping out."

Clermont County Commissioner, Dave Uible, says support has been coming in from all over.

"It was the generosity and the compassion of the people that really brought out the best in everybody."

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • One dead, one charged in fatal car crash overnight in south Charlotte

    One dead, one charged in fatal car crash overnight in south Charlotte

    Sunday, February 18 2018 4:27 PM EST2018-02-18 21:27:04 GMT
    (Fred Craft | WBTV)(Fred Craft | WBTV)

    One person was killed in a single car crash in south Charlotte early Sunday morning. The crash occurred on Runnymede Lane near Barclay Downs Drive around 1:22 a.m. Officials say one female was killed as a result of the crash. The victim's name has not been released. The cause of the crash has not been released. Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved.

    More >>

    One person was killed in a single car crash in south Charlotte early Sunday morning. The crash occurred on Runnymede Lane near Barclay Downs Drive around 1:22 a.m. Officials say one female was killed as a result of the crash. The victim's name has not been released. The cause of the crash has not been released. Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved.

    More >>
  • Silver Alert issued for missing Shelby man

    Silver Alert issued for missing Shelby man

    Sunday, February 18 2018 2:41 PM EST2018-02-18 19:41:38 GMT
    James Albert TysonJames Albert Tyson

    A Silver Alert has been issued for a missing Shelby man who is believed to be suffering from dementia or some other cognitive impairment.  James Albert Tyson, 79, was last seen in Shelby. 

    More >>

    A Silver Alert has been issued for a missing Shelby man who is believed to be suffering from dementia or some other cognitive impairment.  James Albert Tyson, 79, was last seen in Shelby. 

    More >>
  • Pedestrian struck, killed in east Charlotte

    Pedestrian struck, killed in east Charlotte

    Sunday, February 18 2018 9:24 AM EST2018-02-18 14:24:37 GMT

    According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, the incident happened in the 3400 block of the Plaza.

    More >>

    According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, the incident happened in the 3400 block of the Plaza.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly