Officials: Coaches weren't suspended after controversial video - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Officials: Coaches weren't suspended after controversial video

Posted: Updated:
Source: Facebook.com Source: Facebook.com
CONCORD, NC (WBTV) -

Two high school basketball coaches will be on the court Monday night, nearly a week after a video caused controversy.

Officials with Cox Mill High School say the video, a version of the Harlem Shake video, was shot in the locker room after a basketball game on Tuesday.

A parent later complained about the video and the school considered disciplinary action against head coach Brad Hinson and assistant coach Jody Barbee, WBTV has learned.

But school officials say the coaches were never suspended.

Social media sites, Facebook and Twitter, were slammed with messages about saving the coaches after students believed they had been suspended.

"Cox Mill's Harlem Shake video was friggin hilarious, their administration needs to lighten up," one person tweeted.

Another wrote, "Cox Mill just needs to drop all of this, they just look plain stupid at this point. #FreeBarbee #FreeHinson."

Many people questioned why the coaches would be suspended over the video, which has since been removed from YouTube.

A school official told WBTV that the whole thing was blown out of proportion on social media. The coaches reportedly have not missed any games or practices.

"Keeping the best interests of our student athletes, student body and school community in mind, school administrators decided that the coaches will be courtside as this team continues its quest to the state championship," Cabarrus County Schools said in a statement to WBTV.

Cox Mill's Athletic Director Brian Knab would only comment that Coach Hinson and Coach Barbee would both be coaching Monday night.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow