Victim of home invasion escapes to safety of neighbor - | WBTV Charlotte

Victim of home invasion escapes to safety of neighbor

(Source: CBS 5 News) Two men attacked 62-year-old Bill Little and robbed his north Phoenix home of many valuables just before noon Monday. (Source: CBS 5 News) Two men attacked 62-year-old Bill Little and robbed his north Phoenix home of many valuables just before noon Monday.
(CBS 5 News) Little was bound and locked into this storage shed. He was able to escape through this window and leaped a fence to safety at a neighbor's house. (CBS 5 News) Little was bound and locked into this storage shed. He was able to escape through this window and leaped a fence to safety at a neighbor's house.
(CBS 5 News) Valerie Hamilton heard a knock at her back door and was shocked to see her beaten and bleeding neighbor. (CBS 5 News) Valerie Hamilton heard a knock at her back door and was shocked to see her beaten and bleeding neighbor.
PHOENIX (CBS5) -
In the north Phoenix neighborhood where a home invasion robbery took place Monday, CBS 5 News found Valerie Hamilton getting dropped off by a friend after shopping for a gun.
 
"The whole neighborhood today has just been in a state of fear and panic. It's been really difficult," Hamilton said.
 
She was still visibly shaken up after the terrifying ordeal that began just before noon near 17th Avenue north of Happy Valley Road.
 
"All of a sudden someone is banging on my back door like they're trying to break in," Hamilton said.
 
Scared, she looked out her window and recognized Bill Little, her 62-year-old neighbor who lives in the house behind her. He owns a construction company and has worked on the Hamilton's property.
 
"When I opened the door, I noticed he had duct tape on his feet and I just grabbed him and I said, 'Get in here,' and I jerked him in and then I dead-bolted the door," Hamilton said.
 
She said Little's clothes and face were covered with blood and an eye was swollen shut. 
 
"It was severe, like it had been cut with a knife and it was bleeding really badly, and he had a real bad cut across his nose," Hamilton said.
 
Little told her two men with a gun tied him up and beat him inside his back shed, where they locked him in while robbing his home.

With broken ribs, he managed to bust out the back window and hop Hamilton's fence to get help.
 
"Bill thanked me for letting him in. He said, 'You saved my life.' I said, 'Honey, don't thank me for doing the right thing,'" Hamilton said.
 
MCSO Deputy Joaquin Enriquez said Little didn't know his attackers and only described them as two men in their 30s. One was heavy-set and the other had a medium build. 
 
"The victim said he could not ID them. They took their time. They ransacked this place and loaded everything up," Enriquez said.
 
There are several surveillance cameras on Little's property. The crooks were there for more than an hour and heisted the video box and many other high-profile valuables.  
 
"They loaded up two Harley motorcycles onto a trailer. They took the victim's pickup truck, so they had some time. They took some safes," said Enriquez.
 
"You see this stuff on movies and TV and I know you hear people say that a lot, but it's so different, you know, when it comes to your back door, literally," said Hamilton.
 
MCSO said Little was taken to John C. Lincoln Hospital, where he will be OK. Investigators are following up on leads to find the two men responsible for the attack.
 
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Downed trees, consistent rainfall leave thousands without power

    Downed trees, consistent rainfall leave thousands without power

    Monday, April 24 2017 7:24 AM EDT2017-04-24 11:24:42 GMT
    Tree down on Marvin Road (Micah Smith | WBTV)Tree down on Marvin Road (Micah Smith | WBTV)

    A huge tree took down power lines on Marvin Road in the Ballantyne area, leaving more than 1,000 homes without power.

    More >>

    A huge tree took down power lines on Marvin Road in the Ballantyne area, leaving more than 1,000 homes without power.

    More >>
  • Crash shuts down part of John Belk Freeway

    Crash shuts down part of John Belk Freeway

    Monday, April 24 2017 7:10 AM EDT2017-04-24 11:10:05 GMT
    (Credit: CharMeck)(Credit: CharMeck)
    A wreck shut down part of John Belk Freeway near uptown Charlotte Monday morning.  Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say the wreck happened just before 7 a.m., closing all lanes of John Belk at Kenilworth Avenue.  There's no word on injuries or what may have caused the crash. Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved.  More >>
    A wreck shut down part of John Belk Freeway near uptown Charlotte Monday morning.  Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say the wreck happened just before 7 a.m., closing all lanes of John Belk at Kenilworth Avenue.  There's no word on injuries or what may have caused the crash. Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved.  More >>
  • Flood warning in place for Rowan County

    Flood warning in place for Rowan County

    Monday, April 24 2017 7:09 AM EDT2017-04-24 11:09:34 GMT
    David Whisenant-WBTVDavid Whisenant-WBTV

    Parts of Rowan County are now under a Flood Warning. The National Weather Service has issued a Flood Warning for Urban Areas and Small Streams in Southwestern Rowan County in the Piedmont of North Carolina until 6:30 pm on Monday.

    More >>

    Parts of Rowan County are now under a Flood Warning. The National Weather Service has issued a Flood Warning for Urban Areas and Small Streams in Southwestern Rowan County in the Piedmont of North Carolina until 6:30 pm on Monday.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly