Sunday morning house fire displaces family - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Sunday morning house fire displaces family

Posted: Updated:
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

Sunday morning Charlotte Fire Fighters responded to a fire alarm in Matthews.

Upon arrival on the 9600 block of Harness Lane, responders found a 2 story residence showing heavy smoke and flames.

Fire fighters knocked down the fire in under a half hour, however extensive damage is visible from the outside of the home. 

Captain Mark Basnight of the Charlotte Fire Department said that the residents of the home are displaced 

A resident of the house said he had started a fire in the fireplace when he woke this morning and proceeded outside, then about 20 minutes later he noticed smoke coming from the roof of the home.

He then entered the home and woke his brother and girlfriend to get them out. 

The man told WBTV that to his knowledge the chimney had never been cleaned out. 

Copyright WBTV 2013. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow