"Speak Out" is an expression of opinion from the Editorial Board of WBTV, and is presented by General Manager, Nick Simonette.
Nick: Our recent editorial on unemployment reform touched a number of viewers deeply and personally.
From Dale Starr...
* I know there are some people, who are on unemployment who make little effort toward finding another job. These people are the minority...
Nick: Denise Shuford says:
* For someone who is really looking for a job 20 weeks goes by quickly. It takes money to go to interviews, print resumes, etc. Looking for a job is hard work.
Nick: Kathy Burger wants to make sure our priorities are straight...
* I agree we need to do something to cut spending but I feel bringing jobs to our area is THE most important step and should take place first.
Nick: Larry Miller seconds that:
* Get the jobs first, then repay the Feds and rework unemployment insurance.
Nick: And Dan Crawford reminds everyone that...
* ...the supposition that proud, hardworking people who happened to lose their job, to no fault of their own, are "on the dole" is dreadfully wrong.
There is nothing more fulfilling and rewarding than working and providing for one's family.
Nick: Mr. Crawford, we agree. And in our editorial we called for the creation of more jobs in the private sector.
To all who are currently unemployed and trying hard to get back to work, we sincerely wish you the very best.
Because WBTV is "On Your Side," we encourage everyone to "Speak Out" – tell us what YOU think. SpeakOut@wbtv.com.