Friday, May 17 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-17 23:16:53 GMT
One person has died in a crash near Harrisonville, MO, Thursday evening. The crash happened on Missouri Highway 7 and Walker Road. It involved a car and a tractor-trailer. Harrisonville is in Cass County.More >>
Savannah Nash celebrated her 16th birthday last week. She died Thursday when her car slammed into a semi while she was texting during her first time driving by herself.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 9:15 PM EDT2013-05-21 01:15:38 GMT
A massive tornado touched down to the southwest of Oklahoma City Monday afternoon. Starting out as a classic funnel it quickly became a giant half-mile wide wedge tornado as it proceeded east north eastMore >>
A massive tornado touched down to the southwest of Oklahoma City Monday afternoon.More >>
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 12:50 PM EDT2013-05-21 16:50:22 GMT
MOORE, OK (RNN) – In one of the few positive stories to come from the deadly tornadoes in Oklahoma, an elderly woman was reunited with a four-legged friend she thought was dead. Barbara Garcia, a residentMore >>
Elderly resident Barbara Garcia frantically called for her dog after the tornado had leveled her house, but with no success.More >>
A 16-year-old girl making her first solo drive died when her vehicle slammed into a semi. Sources tell KCTV5 that she was texting at the time of the crash.More >>
LENOIR, NC (WBTV) -
A chimney fire spread and destroyed a one-story, wooden-frame house in the Patterson Community of Caldwell County early Friday morning, according to the Caldwell County Fire Marshal's Office.
Robbie Wilkie, Caldwell County Fire Marshal/Emergency Management Coordinator, says the fire was reported just before 4 a.m. at a home on Setzers Creek Road in Lenoir.
The homeowner told Wilkie that he woke up, opened his bedroom door, and saw flames in the walls and ceiling around his woodstove, which was in a re-worked fireplace. After a brief attempt to put the fire out, he escaped out of a back, bedroom window, went to a neighbor's house and called 911, the report states.
The fire started in the chimney, which did not have a flue liner, Wilkie said. "Particularly in older homes, chimneys were built out of brick and mortar with no flue liner," he explained. "Over time, the mortar can crack from heating and cooling, residue will build up and flames can escape through those cracks and ignite any combustible material, like wood, surrounding it. It's very important to make sure that if you use a fireplace and chimney, in any manner, to have a flue liner and clean the chimney regularly."
Damages to the home were estimated at $50,000. Both the home and an SUV were destroyed.
In addition to the Fire Marshal's office, the Patterson Fire Department, Valmead Fire Department and Yadkin Valley Fire Department all responded to the fire.