Internet Sweepstakes Ban head to court again - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Internet Sweepstakes Ban head to court again

Posted: Updated:

There is yet another battle in the fight over internet sweepstakes. A Davidson County Judge will hold a hearing on Monday to decide whether to issue a Preliminary Injunction prohibiting enforcement of the law that bans online sweepstakes.

Earlier this week, International Internet Technologies {IIE}, B&J Daniels, Inc., and Hickory Tree Business Center convinced the Judge to issue a temporary restraining order stopping police from seizing any online video sweepstakes property licensed by IIE.

Click here to read the official restraining order.

The defendants named in the case are Governor Pat McCrory, Kiernan Shanahan, Secretary of the Department of Public Safety, and Davidson County Sheriff David Grice.

Law enforcement around the state are watching this case to see if they're going to have stop going after internet sweepstakes cafes.

The temporary restraining order in Davidson county has a line that says "the order applies to the defendants, their agents and representatives and all persons in concert with the state or acting on behalf of the state.... Which is why many in law enforcement are wondering if this applies outside of Davidson County.

In a statement to WBTV, CMPD says "The City of Charlotte has not been named as a Defendant in the recent legal action filed by International Internet Technologies.  However, we are closely monitoring this recent legal challenge and will quickly assess the impact of any permanent ruling issued by the Court.   Nothing in this recent challenge changes our current strategy of reviewing complaints against Sweepstakes establishments on a case by case basis."   

Prosecutors from the Attorney General Office have filed a motion to dismiss the case.

Click here to read the official Motion to Dismiss.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow