CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Dr. John Martin is recognized as one of the top vascular surgeons in the country.
He is also the director of the Dare To Care/Heart Health Foundation.
Because February is American Heart Month, we asked Dr. Martin to visit WBTV News Saturday Morning and share his five tips to a healthier heart. He's shared his advice below:
5 Simple Steps to Make Your Heart Healthier
1. Control the risk factors that you can: Smoking, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Diabetes and Obesity all lead to heart disease and are all things you can control.
2. Exercise regularly: You need to be getting your heart rate up through cardio activity for 30 minutes, at least 3 to 5 times a week.
3. A heart healthy diet: A diet that helps support a healthy heart includes lean meats, vegetables, and low carbs. Vitamins (A,B, C and D) are also a key part to boosting your diet.
4. Find the right preventative strategy for you: Everyone should have a strategy to prevent heart disease, but everyone's should be different. Whether you're preventing it by the right diet and exercise or have the disease and are taking steps to prevent it from getting worse. We all have to be focused, from kids to grandparents, on having a heart healthy strategy.
5. Get screening before there is a problem: Early detection is key when it comes to heart disease. Getting screenings before you have any problems could help save your life and prevent you from having a heart attack. Many people screen for cancer just to be safe, Dr. Martin asks, why not do the same for the heart.