CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - You may have Google searched yourself because we told you to.
Your digital image looks good and your safe.
However, WBTV'S cyber expert, Theresa Payton, says that's not enough anymore. She provided us with an easy tip to take back our personal brands. Think like a private investigator.
Theresa says it's not hard and only takes an hour or less of your time the first time you do it. She tells us everyone is looking at you online and using automated tools to search deep into the web's nooks and crannies. She wants you to get there before they do. Her advice follows:
IN 60 MINUTES OR LESS
START BY DOING A THOROUGH SEARCH OF YOURSELF:
1. Look up your name using each of these sites:
2. Set up alerts to track yourself:
3. Do a background check if you wonder if a past blemish will haunt you:
www.PeopleSmart.com will do a free background check in the database and then you pay for the data you want to see about yourself
GO INTO MAINTENANCE MODE AND IT'LL TAKE YOU MINUTES TO MAINTAIN!
Check out some of the free tools that will help you manage our reputation online.
Free Reputation Check Tools:
3 TIPS TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR BRAND - YOUR NAME!
After you do your search and make sure what's online about you is what you want people to see, then
1. Go to all the social and professional sites and set up a basic profile
2. Grab a blog site in your name, even if you only post your resume there
3. Run some of the reputation tools at least a few times a year, more frequently if you are an active internet user that posts information
Blog sites to try. Go to the site and sign up using your name as the blog page.
Post your resume or something great about you. Just remember to not post anything that could hinder your personal safety!
WORD OF THE WEEK:
Cyberchondria: 80% of internet users have a bad habit of self diagnosing ailments online but when they become obsessive or anxious about it, it's called cyberchondria.