Smoke detector saves family from an early morning fire - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Smoke detector saves family from an early morning fire

Posted: Updated:
KANNAPOLIS, NC (WBTV) -

A fire in a single family home in Kannapolis this morning is being blamed on cracks in the Chimney.

According to the Kannapolis Fire Department, at 7:10am this morning they responded to the home at 5104 Athens Street where they found smoke and fire on an exterior wall.

Upon entering the home firefighters found the fire had extended into the walls of the home and the attic. 

Firefighters were able to extinguished the fire before it spread any further. 

Nobody was hurt in the fire and the Fire Department credits the presence of a working fire alarm which alerted the family to get out. 

In a press release, the Kannapolis Fire Department says that the cause of the fire appears to be a faulty chimney. 

The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced family with temporary housing.  

Copyright WBTV 2013. All rights reserved. 

 

Powered by WorldNow