With the possibility of
winter weather coming to the area York County Sheriff Bruce Bryant would like
to remind drivers of a few safety precautions when driving in inclement
- If possible stay home. Avoid travel unless absolutely necessary.
- Always wear your seatbelt.
- Allow more travel time; expect delays.
- Decrease speed and increase distance between vehicles – it takes
longer to stop on snow covered or icy roads.
- Use your vehicles headlights at all times – So other drivers can
see you better.
- Clear all windows of snow and ice before leaving home or work.
- Use caution on bridges and overpasses as most freeze before
- Avoid using cruise control – cruise can cause the vehicle's wheels
to continue turning on a slippery surface when speed needs to be
- Ensure your vehicle has a full tank of gas in the event you are
stranded for an extended period of time.
- Charge your cell phone prior to leaving
- Have a blanket in your car.
- Let someone know when you leave home and estimated time of arrival
to your destination.
- If unfortunately you are involved in an accident be patient – weather also limits
our capabilities and increases our response time; also, keep in mind that
we will be experiencing a high volume of requests for service.
- Move your vehicle out of the roadway if you are involved in a
minor, non-injury traffic collision; especially if you are in a dangerous
area such as a curve, a blind hill or a busy highway.
- Drive safe.
Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.