Exclusive details Fire East Charlotte family of eight displaced - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Exclusive details: Smoke detector credited for saving a family of eight

Posted: Updated:
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

A man is able to save his entire family thanks to an early alert from the smoke detector after fire breaks out in his home early Tuesday morning.

The Charlotte Fire Department says there's no doubt, a smoke detector saved lives during a fire that broke out at a home off Tyrone Drive around 1am.

Crews said the man inside heard the alarm, and raced to his children's rooms.  There, he saw smoke and flames pouring out of the two back windows.

He was able to gather all six kids, along with his wife, and run for the front door before calling for help.

Firefighters arrived on the scene, and said they found the fire had spread, and was making it's way up toward the roof.

Crews attacked the flames from both inside the house and out, cutting holes in the roof in a tactical move called "vertical ventilation", meant to clear smoke from the building.

No one was seriously hurt, but the man inside was treated on the scene for smoke inhalation.

The Red Cross was called in to help the family find a new place to live while repairs are made, which is estimated to run around $30,000.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

Copyright 2013 WBTV.  All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow