Friday, May 17 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-17 23:16:53 GMT
One person has died in a crash near Harrisonville, MO, Thursday evening. The crash happened on Missouri Highway 7 and Walker Road. It involved a car and a tractor-trailer. Harrisonville is in Cass County.More >>
Savannah Nash celebrated her 16th birthday last week. She died Thursday when her car slammed into a semi while she was texting during her first time driving by herself.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 11:19 PM EDT2013-05-19 03:19:44 GMT
The Charlotte Bobcats are in the process of changing their name to "Hornets," a source with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com's Will Brinson, including arranging digital assets that wouldMore >>
The Charlotte Bobcats are in the process of changing their name to "Hornets," a source with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com's Will Brinson, including arranging digital assets that would allow a return to their original nickname.More >>
Sunday, May 19 2013 7:59 AM EDT2013-05-19 11:59:01 GMT
Health officials are worried cases from a salmonella outbreak traced to a Fayetteville hotel may have spread nationwide. Officials say that 51 people who ate at the Holiday Inn Bordeaux's banquet facilitiesMore >>
Health officials are worried cases from a salmonella outbreak traced to a Fayetteville hotel may have spread nationwide.More >>
CBS 5 has called Johnson Utilities several times over the past two days. No one has responded to our messages or emails about the contaminated water. On Sunday, CBS 5 drove to the company's office in the San Tan Valley and couldn't find anyone.
This is the second time Johnson Utilities, L.L.C. has been the source of controversy for contaminated drinking water.
The water company found high levels of nitrate in two of their wells that have been turned off, according to the utility's website.
"The wells serve the San Tan Heights Subdivision and theSkyline Subdivision west of Gary Rd. and south of Skyline Dr. If you do not live in these two subdivisions, this notice does not apply to you. Wells serving the remainder of our operating area have nitrate levels below the standard."
The company said the water sample results received on Dec. 27, 2012, showed nitrate levels above the standard.
"Nitrate in drinking water is a serious health concern for infants less than six months old," reads the warning on their website.
The company also urges people not to boil, freeze, or filter the water because it does not reduce the nitrate level.
According to the site, the company is issuing a warning for 24 hours and wants customers to follow the warning until the all clear is given.
Heather Batty is the mother of a 2-year-old daughter. She said she's fed up with Johnson Utilities' lack of urgency when it comes to notifying the community about problems with the water.
"If we had the option of going to another water company we would have done it already," said Batty.
Johnson Utilities has been under scrutiny before. In August, the company alerted its customers of a possible E. coli contamination. The company later released a statement that said E. Coli was not detected during a retesting process, but that one sample tested positive for coliform.
Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.