3 students accused of taking school buses for joyride - | WBTV Charlotte

3 students accused of taking school buses for joyride

The stop sign on the side of a South Carolina school bus. (File/FOX Carolina) The stop sign on the side of a South Carolina school bus. (File/FOX Carolina)
LAURENS, SC (FOX Carolina) -

An Upstate high school principal said three students were arrested after they took two school buses for joyrides on Saturday.

Laurens District High School Principal Sonya Bryant said some students were on campus Saturday and decided they would take the buses off campus for a ride.

She said the students had been at school earlier in the day and were involved in some student organizations. She said one of the students had participated in the Gray Court parade while another was waiting to participate in the Laurens parade.

The District 55 transportation director, Geoffrey Stephens, said he saw a bus pulling into the parking lot and realized that no bus should have been out of the lot. He said he found a 14-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl in the bus. The two told him they found the keys in the bus and that they didn't know they should not have been in the buses.

Bryant said the thefts were caught on surveillance, which indicated that three students were involved and two buses were taken for rides. She said the video helped identify the kids.

The boy and girl found on Saturday were arrested by the Laurens County Sheriff's Department, but were released into their parents' custody with cases handed to the Department of Juvenile Justice.

Bryant would not release what their punishment will be yet, but the school is treating it as a severe infraction.

She said they are thankful no one was injured. The students were arrested and charged with theft of a motor vehicle, but have not been identified because they are minors, Bryant said.

Copyright 2012 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • One dead, one charged in fatal car crash overnight in south Charlotte

    One dead, one charged in fatal car crash overnight in south Charlotte

    Sunday, February 18 2018 4:27 PM EST2018-02-18 21:27:04 GMT
    (Fred Craft | WBTV)(Fred Craft | WBTV)

    One person was killed in a single car crash in south Charlotte early Sunday morning. The crash occurred on Runnymede Lane near Barclay Downs Drive around 1:22 a.m. Officials say one female was killed as a result of the crash. The victim's name has not been released. The cause of the crash has not been released. Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved.

    More >>

    One person was killed in a single car crash in south Charlotte early Sunday morning. The crash occurred on Runnymede Lane near Barclay Downs Drive around 1:22 a.m. Officials say one female was killed as a result of the crash. The victim's name has not been released. The cause of the crash has not been released. Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved.

    More >>
  • Silver Alert issued for missing Shelby man

    Silver Alert issued for missing Shelby man

    Sunday, February 18 2018 2:41 PM EST2018-02-18 19:41:38 GMT
    James Albert TysonJames Albert Tyson

    A Silver Alert has been issued for a missing Shelby man who is believed to be suffering from dementia or some other cognitive impairment.  James Albert Tyson, 79, was last seen in Shelby. 

    More >>

    A Silver Alert has been issued for a missing Shelby man who is believed to be suffering from dementia or some other cognitive impairment.  James Albert Tyson, 79, was last seen in Shelby. 

    More >>
  • Pedestrian struck, killed in east Charlotte

    Pedestrian struck, killed in east Charlotte

    Sunday, February 18 2018 9:24 AM EST2018-02-18 14:24:37 GMT

    According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, the incident happened in the 3400 block of the Plaza.

    More >>

    According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, the incident happened in the 3400 block of the Plaza.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly