Matthews apartment fire: 23 families displaced - | WBTV Charlotte

Matthews apartment fire: 23 families displaced


Flames shot into the air right before 9 o'clock Friday night at the Chambers Ridge Apartments in Matthews on Chambers Drive.

Residents were leaping from several stories up to free themselves from danger.

According to a Medic spokesperson two residents were taken to CMC-Main with at least one person having life threatening injuries.

The Red Cross prepared to provide assistance for food, shelter, clothing and other immediate needs on an as-needed basis; and Red Cross volunteers also provided drinks and snacks for the Charlotte Fire Department and other first responders on the scene of the fire.

More than fifty firefighters were on the scene. 

The American Red Cross opened a shelter for 23 displaced families at Butler High School, on Matthews Mint Hill Road.

According to Matthews FD the fire originated on the first floor and was caused by an item cooking in a kitchen.


Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly