Thursday, July 24 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-25 03:15:58 GMT
Officials say that the serious injuries the child suffered from are indicators that the boy may have been abused by being shaken.More >>
The baby boy is only two-months-old, and he was home alone with the one man who was supposed to guard his life. Instead, police say Michael Dewayne Honaker shook his son, David, and left him with such critical injuries, the infant is fighting for his life. More >>
Thursday, July 24 2014 8:36 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:36:56 GMT
A North Carolina teenager and her six-month-old daughter are missing and deputies believe they may be in Myrtle Beach with the baby's father. According to the Rockingham County Sheriff's Office, 19-year-oldMore >>
19-year-old Kaitlyn Nicole Williams was last seen on Friday night by her mother. When she left, she was supposed to be going to a friend's house to head to the beach.More >>
Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:17 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:17:13 GMT
Myrtle Beach (SC)- Event Organizers for Myrtle Beach Mustang Week are upset by the videos hitting Facebook and YouTube. Founder and President of Extreme Productions Inc. with Mustang Week, Rodney Melton,More >>
Event organizers for Myrtle Beach Mustang Week are upset by videos hitting Facebook and YouTube showing reckless driving. More >>
In Mesa, an 8-year-old girl found a note in her desk from a boy.
It wasn't a love note. It was a death threat.
While Mesa police and the school district are looking into whether this was prank, a kid being mean or a true threat, the girl's mother stands frustrated at the school's response and scared for her daughter's safety.
"Nobody wants their child to hear that," said a devastated Melissa Marek-Whitehurst about the note her daughter Emma found in her desk at school.
Emma is pretty upset about it too, telling CBS 5, "I'm very uncomfortable, and I don't really like it."
The 8-year-old has the note memorized. She recounts, "To Emma. I will kill you. From Adam."
Emma found the note after school Tuesday during a parent-teacher conference at Booker T. Washington Elementary School in Mesa.
"I was sort of scared," she said.
And so is her mom, who kept her third grader home today.
"The child that supposedly wrote the note said he didn't do it and the school has no answers for us as to what they plan on doing," said Marek-Whitehurst.
She believes other parents should know what's going on.
"We're willing to send out letters for lice, an outbreak of lice, but we're not willing to notify the parents that something like this has happened," noted Marek-Whitehurst.
She filed a report with the Mesa Police Department who is investigating along with the school district. They are still in the fact-finding stage.
"This is not something that we would do a broadcast notification on. The parents that need to know based on the potential involvement of their students have certainly been notified," said Helen Hollands with Mesa Public Schools.
So far, the principal has spoken with the class and is talking with three students about the disturbing note.
Marek-Whitehurst feels that's not enough.
"If they're not willing to hear me out now and do something about it, how do I know she's going to be safe at school tomorrow?" she asked.
Emma's mom hasn't decided if she will send her daughter to school tomorrow. She said she has no assurance at this point her daughter will be safe.
In the meantime, the school principal will continue to try and get to the bottom of the note and follow up on some leads that were generated on Wednesday.
"I just want to know who it's from, and I want to tell them please don't do that. That really hurts me," said Emma.
Copyright 2012 KPHO CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.