Investigation underway into home explosion in Gaston Co. - | WBTV Charlotte

Investigation underway into home explosion in Gaston Co.


A 69-year-old homeowner was not hurt after his Gastonia home exploded.

Neighbors told WBTV the man said a leaky propane gas tank inside the home was to blame. Several people reported hearing a loud boom just after 2 p.m. Monday near the corner of Fair Oaks Drive and West Circle Street in Gastonia.

Neighbors said the homeowner returned home and smelled gas outside. He decided not to go in and the house exploded seconds later.

Firefighters on scene confirmed that the homeowner was not hurt badly, but was taken to the hospital for observation.

Crews remained on the scene much of the afternoon putting out hot spots. Family members and friends tried to salvage what they could from the rubble. Neighbors said the man lived in the home all his life and did not have insurance.

Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly