Overnight restaurant fire ruled accidental - | WBTV Charlotte

Overnight restaurant fire ruled accidental

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A popular Southend restaurant is closed Wednesday morning because of an electrical fire.

"ADT called me, and I honestly thought it was a bugler alarm" said Amauris Morel, who's father owns the restaurant.  

"I touched the glass, and it was warm, so I called 911 right away."

Firefighters got that call, and sent several engine companies to the Punta Cana restaurant, a popular establishment with a Caribbean flare.

South Boulevard was blocked off near Tyvola Road while crews made entry into the structure, and tried to find the source of all the smoke that was making it's way through the doors and windows.

Charlotte firefighters determined it was an accidental blaze, the cause looks to be an electrical problem.

According to investigators, there was close to fifty-thousand dollars in damage, but because the fire happened around midnight on Wednesday, there was no one inside, so there were no injuries.

Copyright 2012 - WBTV.  All rights reserved.

 

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • VIDEO: Trio wanted in York Co Waffle House robbery

    VIDEO: Trio wanted in York Co Waffle House robbery

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 4:39 PM EST2017-12-13 21:39:36 GMT
    Surveillance video courtesy York County Sheriff's Office.Surveillance video courtesy York County Sheriff's Office.

    Around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, officials say three males robbed the Waffle House on Regent Parkway in Fort Mill. 

    More >>

    Around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, officials say three males robbed the Waffle House on Regent Parkway in Fort Mill. 

    More >>
  • Lane shut down near uptown Charlotte as officials work to repair water service

    Lane shut down near uptown Charlotte as officials work to repair water service

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 4:33 PM EST2017-12-13 21:33:42 GMT
    WBTV graphicWBTV graphic

    Officials say one lane will be closed just south of uptown Charlotte for a water service repair. One lane in the 2200 block of S. Tryon Street near Remount Road will be closed for four to six hours as officials work to repair the water service. 

    More >>

    Officials say one lane will be closed just south of uptown Charlotte for a water service repair. One lane in the 2200 block of S. Tryon Street near Remount Road will be closed for four to six hours as officials work to repair the water service. 

    More >>
  • Rowan-Cabarrus Community College announces new board appointment

    Rowan-Cabarrus Community College announces new board appointment

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 4:27 PM EST2017-12-13 21:27:02 GMT
    (Source: RCCC)(Source: RCCC)

    The Rowan-Cabarrus Community College Board of Trustees proudly announced a new Board member at a recent board meeting. Marjorie Benbow was appointed by North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper to serve on the board through 2021.

    More >>

    The Rowan-Cabarrus Community College Board of Trustees proudly announced a new Board member at a recent board meeting. Marjorie Benbow was appointed by North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper to serve on the board through 2021.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly