BB&T building evacuated overnight as smoke pours from garage - | WBTV Charlotte

BB&T building evacuated overnight as smoke pours from garage

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - An electrical short causes smoke to pour from a panel in the underground garage of the BB&T building early Thursday morning.

The building manager told firefighters in his eighteen years of working in the BB&T building, he's never seen anything like this before.

Heavy smoke billowing from the multi-story high rise, and the entire building went dark.

Charlotte firefighters said they got the call a little after 1am.  A report of a building fire from the BB&T building at 200 South College Street.

Crews quickly shut down the street in front of the skyscraper, and evacuated around a half a dozen people to safety.

Emergency generators kicked in, and helped illuminate at least part of the building, as rescue workers descended to the garage to hunt for the source of the smoke.

Firefighters said it looks like a short in an electrical panel may have been the cause, but as soon as the power went out, so too did the smoke.

Crews were on scene for around two hours making sure the situation was under control.  Duke Energy was called in to repair the problem, and restore the power.

The building should be back open for business Thursday morning.

Copyright 2012 - WBTV.  All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly