Disabled woman was smoking before fatal house fire, investigator - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Disabled woman was smoking before fatal house fire, investigators say

Posted: Updated:

MONROE, NC (WBTV) - A disabled woman died in a house fire Wednesday night in Monroe.

Firefighters were called to the home at 212 Elizabeth Avenue around 6:30 p.m.

There, they found the body of Martha Mills, 64. She had apparently been smoking a cigarette in a back bedroom. Fire investigators think the cigarette started the fire.

Monroe Fire Chief Ron Fowler told WBTV that Mills' son was just outside the house when the fire started. When he tried to go back in, smoke poured through the front door.

He was not able to reach his mother in time; and because of her disability, she was not able to get out on her own.

Copyright WBTV 2011. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow