NC SHERIFF-RACIAL PROFILING
DOJ: Stats show Alamance deputies profile Latinos
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Two university professors hired by the U.S. Department of Justice to analyze traffic stops by the Alamance County Sheriff's Office say statistical data conclusively shows deputies there are racially profiling Latino drivers.
The two analyses were filed in U.S. District Court last week as part of a federal civil rights complaint against Sheriff Terry Johnson.
Psychologist John Lamberth reviewed years of citation and arrest data and concluded that Johnson's deputies cited Latinos for violations at a rate more than six times higher than whites - the biggest racial disparity he had ever observed in the United States.
Johnson's lawyer, Chuck Kitchen, points to a third study commissioned by the defense that concluded there was no racial profiling. Johnson, a Republican, has claimed the federal lawsuit against him is politically motivated.
Emergency declaration issued for Bonner Bridge
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina's governor has declared an emergency at the Bonner Bridge, which state officials have closed because they say it's unsafe.
Gov. Pat McCrory declared a state of emergency Thursday for the bridge and the emergency ferry terminals at Stumpy Point and Rodanthe.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Public Safety says the declaration will speed repairs because the state will not have to get the permits that it normally would. Spokeswoman Julia Jarema says it also allows the state to seek federal assistance.
The state closed the 50-year-old bridge Monday after learning the Oregon Inlet has scoured out sand around the base of supports at the southern end. The transportation department has said reopening the bridge will require fortifying the bridge's support columns and bringing in additional sand.
New ID requirement coming for jobless benefits
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina's unemployed soon will have to provide photo identification when they receive weekly jobless cash benefits.
People will continue to be able file for benefits by telephone or online, but they'll have to present a photo ID at their local workforce development office within four weeks of filing, likely starting Feb. 1.
Dale Folwell heads the Division of Employment Security. He said Wednesday the new requirements are designed to combat an increasing number of claims in which a person uses someone else's name or Social Security number. Folwell says the state then seeks refunds from unsuspecting victims of the identity theft.
Several states already require photo IDs for benefits. Folwell says his agency in February also will require more details from the benefit recipients about job searches.
BOY IN VAN
No charges for NC woman in grandson's death
BREVARD, N.C. (AP) - Authorities say they will not file charges against a Transylvania County woman whose 4-year-old grandson died of heat stroke after he was left in the back of her van for several hours on a hot day.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports District Attorney Greg Newman said the death of Lance Duncan was an accident and Shirley Strickland did nothing criminal. Newman said the facts show Strickland wasn't behaving recklessly or carelessly.
Investigators say Strickland left her home on May 15 to take her grandchildren to school and daycare. Newman said she dropped off two of the children, but Lance fell asleep in the back and she proceeded to work.
When Strickland returned to the van to pick up the grandchildren from school, the boy was found dead in the back.
CAMP-COACH OF THE YEAR
Duke's Cutcliffe wins Camp coach of the year award
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - Duke's David Cutcliffe has been selected coach of the year by the Walter Camp Football Foundation.
Cutcliffe has led the 20th-ranked Blue Devils (10-2) to a school record for victories and their first appearance in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game. Duke plays No. 1 Florida State in Charlotte, N.C., on Saturday night.
Cutcliffe, the former Mississippi coach who took over at Duke in 2008, has guided the Blue Devils to eight straight victories, the program's longest streak since 1941.
Last year's winner of the Walter Camp coach of the year was Notre Dame's Brian Kelly.
NCDOT awards contract to build new bridge on NC 12
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - The N.C. Department of Transportation says it has awarded a contract to build a permanent bridge on N.C. Highway 12 on Pea Island.
A statement from the department on Thursday said the $79.7 million contract was awarded to Parsons Construction Group Inc. of Greenville, S.C. Construction on the new bridge can begin as early as Jan. 6, 2014 with completion scheduled for spring of 2016.
As part of the bid, the contractor committed to completing the work within 800 calendar days, or approximately two years and two months.
The 2.1-mile-long permanent bridge will replace the temporary one currently standing where Hurricane Irene breached the highway in 2011. It spans an area where inlets have historically opened and closed.
Traffic will continue to use the existing bridge during construction.
LAURINBURG SHOOTING DEATH
Man charged with killing NC woman last seen in SC
LAURINBURG, N.C. (AP) - A Rowland man has been charged in the death of a North Carolina college student who was last seen alive at a South Carolina nightclub.
Authorities said Wednesday 20-year-old Timarius Baker had been arrested on charges including first-degree murder and armed robbery.
Scotland County officials say 21-year-old Demonsha Eronda Clegg of Raeford was found shot to death early Sunday near Laurinburg. The Elizabeth City State University student was home on Thanksgiving break and had been last seen at a nightclub in Marlboro County, S.C.
Scotland County Sheriff Shep Jones says Baker and Clegg left the club together in Clegg's car. Jones says Baker shot the woman, stole her car, and then set it on fire.
Baker was in jail Thursday. It wasn't immediately clear if he had an attorney.
Work on I-440 in Raleigh delayed to next week
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Work on Interstate 440 around Raleigh is being delayed until next week, giving commuters a few more days of having all lanes available.
The state Department of Transportation had planned to begin work on the road in southeast Raleigh on Thursday.
But officials have postponed the effort until sometime next week.
The plan calls for closing two of the three lanes on the road and will take about a year to complete. Two lanes will still operate, one of them consisting of the freeway shoulder.
DOT engineer Dennis Jernigan said there are concerns about how traffic will flow from I-40 onto I-440.
The plan is part of a three-year, $130 million repair for more than 11 miles of the beltway.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.