Fire destroys house in Union County - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Fire destroys house in Union County

Posted: Updated:

UNION COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - Fire crews were called to a house fire in Union County near the Mecklenburg County line Friday afternoon.

The fire occurred around 3:30 p.m. at a home in the 5300 block of McGregor Drive.

Twenty five firefighters from Hemby Bridge, Stallings and Mint Hill fire departments responded

From Sky3, the house appeared to be gutted by the fire. Hemby Bridge Fire Chief Blythe told WBTV news that 50 percent of the home was damaged by fire and the rest of the house was damaged by smoke. He believes insurance estimates will list the home as a total loss.

Fire officials said the house was engulfed with flames when they first arrived. 

The neighborhood does not have county water or a hydrant, but fire fighters were able to haul water with no problems.

Investigators believe the fire started after a cooking accident. No one was hurt.

Copyright 2011 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow