BELMONT, NC (WBTV) - This time of year you will see plenty of white. It is on the trees, the streets, and the buildings. This weekend, one local garden is combating that by showing off some color.
"Basically, we sort of eradicated winter. We don't have winter we have orchid spectacular. So it's a great time to come out in the dreary part of winter and get your green fix, said Cindy Klemmer, Director of Education.@
"The bones of the garden in the winter. You see the trees and the structure and the outline of the garden and the design," Klemmer said.
And, beginning this weekend, you will see close to eight hundred orchids, alive with color, in the Orchid Conservatory. They are the pride and joy of orchid specialist Lee Potts, who fell into the flower business.
"Initially I was just looking for a job, a pay check, I was fresh out of high school, " Potts said.
Within six months, his interest in orchids peaked, and developed into a career more than twenty years in the making. He and his crew have been busy preparing for weeks for the spectacular.
"Well, we have 45 hundred orchids on reserve that we keep growing in the greenhouse." Potts said.
Among those are hundreds of hybrids of orchids- all on display. He says that's what makes these beauties his favorites. "It's the knowledge of what each orchid needs, and they are different than a lot of other plants."
They are tricky plants for sure, but exotic, and this time of year, an escape from the bitter cold of winter.
"Walk through the orchid conservatory and smell that wonderful tropical smell, and see some beautiful blooms and just be inspired by nature," says Klemmer.
Copyright 2011 WBTV. All rights reserved.
START: 1 Julian Price Pl, Charlotte, NC 28208-5211 US
1. Start out going NORTH on JULIAN PRICE PL toward W MOREHEAD ST/US-29. (go 0 miles)
2. Take the 1st RIGHT onto W MOREHEAD ST/US-29. (go 0.39 miles)
3. Take the 1st LEFT onto FREEDOM DR/NC-27 W. (go 2.14 miles)
4. Merge onto I-85 S via the ramp on the LEFT toward GASTONIA. (go 7.68 miles)
5. Take the NC-273 exit, EXIT 27, toward BELMONT/MT. HOLLY. (go 0.28 miles)
6. Turn LEFT onto NC-273/BEATTY DR/PARK ST. Continue to follow NC-273. (go 1.97 miles)
7. Turn LEFT onto S CENTRAL AVE/NC-273. Continue to follow NC-273. (go 4.12 miles)
8. Turn RIGHT onto ARMSTRONG RD/NC-273. (go 2.38 miles)
9. Turn RIGHT onto S NEW HOPE RD/NC-279. (go 0.31 miles)
10. 6500 S NEW HOPE RD. (go 0 miles)
END: Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, 6500 S New Hope Rd, Belmont, NC 28012 US
TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 27 minutes | DISTANCE: 19.26 miles