KANNAPOLIS, NC (WBTV) - One local theater is gearing up for the rush of movie goers this weekend, and the prices are downright cheap.
"The price is great, I mean it was just three dollars for each person before six and four dollars [after], I mean you can't find that anywhere," said Bryson Nesbitt. He has been coming to the Gem Theatre since he was six years old.
"It feels home, not really homey but like a family," said Nesbitt. "It feels kind of warm."
It's the oldest single screen theater still operating in the US, and the venue is unique.
"They've kept it real original and historic," said Nesbitt.
"It just has a different feel to it than the modern theatres," said Steve Morris, the owner.
The marquis, the lights, the red carpet experience, are all part of the history. Morris remembers it from childhood. "We would go to the movies then we would walk up to the corner and look at the Schwinn bicycles."
When he got the chance to purchase the theater, he jumped at the opportunity.
"For me it's kind of like being on a big vacation, because it's fun," Morris said.
Locals like Nesbitt agree, it's a gem to the community. "This takes you back to when it was somewhat simpler, and it just brings out the true values, the good true values that America in this time, and the family, is built on.
START: 1 Julian Price Pl, Charlotte, NC 28208-5211 US
1. Start out going NORTH on JULIAN PRICE PL toward W MOREHEAD ST/US-29. (go 0 miles)
2. Take the 1st RIGHT onto W MOREHEAD ST/US-29. (go 0.8 miles)
3. Merge onto I-77 N/US-21 N via the ramp on the LEFT toward STATESVILLE. (go 3.03 miles)
4. Merge onto I-85 N via EXIT 13A toward GREENSBORO. (go 19.53 miles)
5. Merge onto US-29 N/S CANNON BLVD via EXIT 58 toward LANDIS/KANNAPOLIS.
6. Take the ramp toward KANNAPOLIS. (go 0.09 miles)
7. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto E 1ST ST. (go 0.93 miles)
8. 111 W 1ST ST is on the LEFT. (go 0 miles)
END:111 W 1st St, Kannapolis, NC 28081-3423 US
TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 34 minutes | DISTANCE: 28.32 miles