HICKORY, N.C. (WBTV/AP) - A memorial service that was expected to be held this week for a 10-year-old disabled girl, who police think was dismembered after her death in Hickory, has now been canceled.
The funeral service for Zahra Clare Baker, 10, has been changed to a private memorial service to be held at a later date. The changes were made per the wishes of the family, the Drum Funeral Home told WBTV.
Originally a public service had been planned for Thursday evening, but it has since been canceled.
There will still be an opportunity for visitors to stop by Drum Funeral Home on 29th Ave. in Hickory to sign the register book and view a memorial tribute of Zahra on Thursday evening, December 2, 2010 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m., and on Friday, December 3, 2010 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
A memorial was held Nov. 16 by child advocates, but this funeral service is being put together by Zahra's father, Adam Baker and other family members. However, Elisa Baker, Zahra's stepmother, is not mentioned in the funeral announcement.
The memorial will be open to the public. Those who wish to make donations are asked to give to St. Jude's Children's Hospital instead of flowers or other gifts.
Full Coverage: The Zahra Baker case
Zahra used a prosthetic leg and hearing aids after a bout with cancer. She was reported missing on October 13 and police said on Nov. 12 that they found her remains on Nov. 10 in a site off Christie Road.
No one has been charged in the girl's disappearance or death.
Zahra's stepmother, Elisa Baker, is accused of obstructing justice in the investigation. Police say that Elisa Baker wrote a fake ransom note to throw investigators off the trail.
She later was reported to cooperate and led police to the girl's remains.