HUNTERSVILLE, NC (WBTV) - It's a maze made out of maize, and it's opening this weekend at Rural Hill.
The seeds were planted in June, and today some places have grown to more than ten feet tall. Each year the maze brings a new course and new obstacles. This year you'll make your way through a Conestoga wagon.
Events director, Jeff Fissel, showed me around. "There are a lot of turns, a lot of dead ends, and a lot of different things to find inside the maze as well, so some people decide to spend more time trying to find all the different game board pieces and the kernels of knowledge."
Those pieces are hidden in various mailboxes along the way. The kernels of knowledge will help you complete the task and win a prize. But I had my eyes set on a different prize, beating the record and finishing in less than 45 minutes. I set out on my journey to find my way through the husks, leaves and blockages along the way.
It's easy to get lost in the maze. It's two and a half miles of trail and seven acres of corn. We were lucky enough to beat the record, and get through in thirty five minutes, with just a couple of hints.
The maze is only open through November, and it's a great way to get festive in the fall. The proceeds fund Rural Hills education programs, which last throughout the year.
And the experience is educational for kids and parents alike teaching them a variety of subjects. "Science and math to map reading, to social studies to history," Fissel said.
Schools, corporate groups, and families will learn it will test your patience and your teamwork skills.
"If you want to walk out here for a challenge it can be a real challenge," said Fissel, especially if you don't ask for any help."
START: Charlotte, NC US
1. Start out going SOUTHWEST on S TRYON ST toward W 4TH ST. (go 0.5 miles)
2. Turn RIGHT onto W HILL ST. (go 0.1 miles)
3. Merge onto I-277 S/US-74 W. (go 0.6 miles)
4. Merge onto I-77 N via EXIT 1C toward STATESVILLE. (go 6.3 miles)
5. Take the SUNSET RD WEST exit, EXIT 16B. (go 0.2 miles)
6. Merge onto SUNSET RD. (go 0.6 miles)
7. Turn RIGHT onto BEATTIES FORD RD. (go 6.5 miles)
8. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto NECK RD. (go 2.1 miles)
9. 4431 NECK RD is on the RIGHT. (go 0.0 miles)
END: Rural Hill, 4431 Neck Rd, Huntersville, NC 28078 US
TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 26 minutes | DISTANCE: 16.98 miles