CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - When Rhoda Waters had to decide where to take her daycare on a field trip, the answer was easy.
"We decided to go to Rays Splash planet because it's a contained area, it's smaller. I feel like these children are safe here."
I explored the 29,000 square foot facility with manager Jeff Carwile. Our first stop was the indoor water park. It's filled with 117 thousand gallons of water, and four water slides. The favorite is the Blue Comet, a three story water slide. That's where we found Heaven Harris. "I like the slide and the vortex right here. It's really fun."
Take a look around and you'll see plenty of smiles and splashes, but it provides more than just a good time.
"We want to get people out and moving and enjoying what Mecklenburg has to offer for it's citizens," said Carwile.
Waters agrees." I think it offers them an opportunity to be able to stay healthy and fit. There are a lot of programs now that are helping children you know nutrition wise and obesity wise, but the facility is awesome."
That's why Ray's also offers a fully furnished fitness center with cardio equipment, weight training machines and exercise classes. Parents can work out while their kids have fun.
" It's great for families to just come here and be together and get away from watching TV or you know playing video games," commented Carwile.
It's open year round, and Mecklenburg county residents get a discount. It's six dollars for kids and eight dollars for adults.
"Try it, just try it, it's a really good experience, very inexpensive,"said Waters.
Copyright 2010 WBTV. All rights reserved.
START: Charlotte, NC 28208 US
1. Start out going NORTHWEST on HEYWOOD AVE toward LIGGETT ST. (go 0.0 miles)
2. Turn RIGHT onto LIGGETT ST. (go 0.0 miles)
3. Turn LEFT onto ASHLEY RD. (go 0.1 miles)
4. Turn RIGHT onto ALLEGHANY ST. (go 0.7 miles)
5. Turn RIGHT onto FREEDOM DR/NC-27 E. (go 1.3 miles)
6. Turn LEFT onto W MOREHEAD ST/US-29/NC-27. (go 0.4 miles)
7. Merge onto I-77 N/US-21 N via the ramp on the LEFT toward STATESVILLE. (go 0.4 miles)
8. Take the TRADE ST exit, EXIT 10, toward FIFTH ST. (go 0.2 miles)
9. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto ramp. (go 0.1 miles)
10. Turn RIGHT onto W 5TH ST. (go 0.0 miles)
11. Turn LEFT onto N SYCAMORE ST. (go 0.0 miles)
12. 215 N SYCAMORE ST is on the LEFT. (go 0.0 miles)
END: 215 N Sycamore St, Charlotte, NC 28202-1222 U
TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 7 minutes | DISTANCE: 3.49 miles