CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - "Very Good... Excellent... Very Very Good." Those are the words Judy Miller used to describe the new pirate exhibition at the Schiele Museum in Gastonia.
"It changes every six months, nine months, a year, so there's always something very worthwhile to see," said Miller. She has been visiting the museum for more than fifty years. This week I caught up with her and toured the museum.
"It's a very educational, informative thing, and if people can't get out of the county to go to other cities, they can get a whole bucket full of great information on nature and animals and all sorts of things at this museum," Miller said.
I was greeted at the door with an atypical welcome from a man who calls himself, Gypsy Jack. "Ahoy Maties welcome aboard!" It's all part of their new pirate exhibit. Adults and kids of all ages will climb aboard a sixty foot ship and learn the ropes of pirating. The exhibit is one of five temporary exhibits, and it's only here until December.
This weekend visitors will experience a pirate invasion. More than forty pirates will scour the museum looking for families to entertain. There will be music, food, and displays, and it's all included in the price of admission.
Executive director Dr. Ann Tippet says everyone can learn something here.
"We have found with this exhibit that there is as much adult interest in it as there is from the kids."
Admission to the museum costs just seven dollars for adults and six dollars for kids. Or, take a walk on the nature trail without spending a dime.
Tippet says it's all about enhancing the community. " It's just really important that we have a place where families can afford to come, learn together have fun together and build some of those strong family memories."
START: Charlotte, NC US
1. Start out going SOUTHWEST on S TRYON ST toward W 4TH ST. (go 0.5 miles)
2. Turn RIGHT onto W HILL ST. (go 0.1 miles)
3. Merge onto I-277 S/US-74 W. (go 0.9 miles)
4. Merge onto FREEDOM DR via EXIT 1A toward US-29/NC-27. (go 2.5 miles)
5. Merge onto I-85 S via the ramp on the LEFT toward GASTONIA. (go 14.9 miles)
6. Take the NC-279/NEW HOPE RD exit, EXIT 20, toward DALLAS. (go 0.2 miles)
7. Turn LEFT onto N NEW HOPE RD/NC-279. (go 1.2 miles)
8. Turn RIGHT onto E GARRISON BLVD. (go 0.6 miles)
9. 1500 E GARRISON BLVD is on the RIGHT. (go 0.0 miles)
END: Schiele Museum-Natural History, 1500 E Garrison Blvd, Gastonia, NC 28054 US
TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 27 minutes | DISTANCE: 20.95 miles