CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Just down the road in York, South Carolina, lies a little gem known for it's seasonal fruits and veggies. This weeks travels led me on a quest to find the perfect peach. Ben Smith and his wife, Merywn, own the Peach Tree Orchard just off Filbert Highway. This family run business has drawn locals sine 1962. The Peach Tree Orchard sells more than 24 types of peaches.
"We have people from Gastonia, Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, Lancaster County all around that come here and buy the peaches," said owner Ben Smith. I was able to find one such customer at the orchard that day. Eleanor Craig has been a loyal patron for more than forty years. I asked her what makes this orchard better than the others. Her response was simple. " Because they have the best peaches around, and all of this other produce."
That's something Ben Smith takes pride in. "We try to sell anything that we would by ourselves, rather, if we wouldn't buy it ourselves, it goes out the back door."
Each peach is pruned and plucked by hand and then handled with tender love and care, to please the customer, of course. "We grade all of our peaches in the back, take all the fuzz off of them so you won't be scratching down the road in your car," explained Smith.
Fuzzy or not, these peaches taste great and are affordable too. The Peach Tree Orchard also allows you to try before you buy, in case you can't decide.
Eleanor has no problem deciding."My favorite one is Sun High, the yellow peach, but of course we also like the white peaches too. The Georgia Belles, the Early Belles, there are so many different kinds. They have such a variety here."
START: Charlotte, NC US
1. Start out going SOUTHWEST on S TRYON ST toward W 4TH ST. (go 0.5 miles)
2. Turn RIGHT onto W HILL ST. (go 0.1 miles)
3. Merge onto I-277 S/US-74 W. (go 0.8 miles)
4. Merge onto I-77 S via EXIT 1B toward COLUMBIA (go 18.9 miles)
5. Take the US-21/SC-161 exit, EXIT 82, toward ROCK HILL/YORK. (go 0.2 miles)
6. Merge onto SC-161 N via EXIT 82C toward YORK/ROCK HILL YORK CO AIRPORT. (go 13.0 miles)
7. Turn RIGHT onto SC-161 BYP/SC-5/ALEXANDER LOVE HWY E. (go 4.2 miles)
8. Turn RIGHT onto US-321 N/FILBERT HWY/SC-161 N. Continue to follow US-321 N/FILBERT HWY. (go 2.2 miles)
9. 2077 FILBERT HWY is on the RIGHT. (go 0.0 miles)
END: 2077 Filbert Hwy, York, SC 29745-8769 US
TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 51 minutes | DISTANCE: 39.86 miles