CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Take a walk along the cobblestone streets of this living history museum, and you'll travel back in time. Old Salem is truly authentic in sight, sound, and smell. Lauren Werner, the director of marketing, says people come from all over the world for this educational experience. "You get to learn all about what life was like in the back country of the south."
Woody Godwin works at Old Salem. He says it's "without a doubt, educational and entertaining both at the same time.
WBTV Meteorologist Jim Lytle and his family tagged along with me. Jim's daughter Maggie says this experience gave her some prospective. " Well, it's really cool because Charlotte is so new, but this village is sort of old, and I like that feel."
Our journey started at the Single Brothers house. There we learned the trades of the past through discussions with the local potter and tailor. Jim even got to try on a stylish jacket. Then we headed over to the local bakery, where we watched them make scrumptious sweets the old fashioned way. The aromas filled the streets. That was Audrey Lytle's favorite part. The best part is the sugar cake and the cookies," said Audrey.This age old recipe is sticky and sweet, and is a must try for everyone visiting.
The architecture is more than two hundred years old, and has provided shelter for dignitaries like George Washington. Washington came to check out Salem's water system, which paved the way for our water today. It still works, and keeps visitors cool in the hot summer sun.
It's really unique there's no other place like it in the country or even in the world, said Werner.
This Saturday, June 12, admission is free as part of their Community Day celebration. Visitors can tour houses, and take part in activities and fifties themed events on the lawn.
START: Charlotte, NC US
1. Start out going SOUTHWEST on S TRYON ST toward W 4TH ST. (go 0.5 miles)
2. Turn RIGHT onto W HILL ST. (go 0.1 miles)
3. Merge onto I-277 S/US-74 W. (go 0.6 miles)
4. Merge onto I-77 N/US-21 N via EXIT 1C toward STATESVILLE. (go 3.4 miles)
5. Merge onto I-85 N via EXIT 13A toward GREENSBORO. (go 49.0 miles)
6. Merge onto US-52 N via EXIT 87 toward LEXINGTON/WINSTON-SALEM. (go 23.3 miles)
7. Merge onto I-40 W via EXIT 107B toward STATESVILLE. (go 0.7 miles)
8. Take the SILAS CREEK PKWY exit, EXIT 193C, toward SOUTH MAIN ST. (go 0.2 miles)
9. Take the ramp toward SOUTH MAIN ST. (go 0.0 miles)
10. Turn RIGHT onto SILAS CREEK PKWY. (go 0.2 miles)
11. Turn LEFT onto S MAIN ST SE/S MAIN ST. (go 1.0 miles)
12. Turn RIGHT to stay on S MAIN ST/S MAIN ST SE. (go 0.0 miles)
13. Turn LEFT onto E SALEM AVE. (go 0.0 miles)
14. Turn RIGHT onto OLD SALEM RD. (go 0.4 miles)
15. Turn RIGHT onto W ACADEMY ST. (go 0.0 miles)
16. Turn RIGHT onto S MAIN ST/S MAIN ST SE. (go 0.0 miles)
17. 600 S MAIN ST is on the RIGHT. (go 0.0 miles)
END: Old Salem Museums & Gardens, 600 S Main St, Winston Salem, NC 27101 US
TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 1 hour 24 minutes | DISTANCE: 79.59 miles
On Your Side
Weather & Traffic