Cover Story: Nightmare Congestion - | WBTV Charlotte

Cover Story: Nightmare Congestion

By Jeff Atkinson - bio l email

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Now that the I-485 loop will finally be closed, attention now turns to the outerbelt's most pressing problem.  That's widening I-485 in south Charlotte.

At Pineville, the freeway goes from three lanes to two.  And if you've ever tried to drive this stretch during rush hour, you know it's a nightmare.

121,000 cars and trucks travel that stretch of road every day.  And it won't be widened for another five years.

As a temporary fix, the state was considering using the shoulders as travel lanes.  Remember that plan? It just seemed to vanish.

Using the shoulders as a travel lane first came up at a community breakfast meeting Ray Eschert organized more than two years ago.

Since then the project like traffic on the southern leg of I-485 has come to a standstill.

"It's a perfect alternative to get something done in the short term until we can get full relief out here.. and why they're dragging their feet I don't know," says Eschert.

But you can guess the reason why.

North Carolina DOT needs about $300,000 to do analysis work on the project.  The state has to run complicated models showing how using the shoulders would work before it can win federal approval.

Kevin Lacy, the DOT's state traffic engineer and the man tasked with seeing it happen, says the project can't even get out of the gate until the analysis work is done.

"No one's been more anxious than me," he told us.

Using shoulders as travel lanes - adding three lanes of traffic where there's currently just two is seen as temporary fix.

The state estimates converting  would cost about $10 million.  The shoulders from South Boulevard to Highway 521 - Johnston Road would only be used during rush hour.

"It is not going to be the cure all for any of our issues. What is will simply do is add additional capacity to get the congested areas to clear a little bit quicker," says Lacy.

With Thursday's contract signing - a signal that work on the northeast section of I-485 will begin soon.. fixing the southern section which was built in the 80s woefully too small will get the attention now.

Ray Eschert hopes money saved building the northeast section can be diverted here.

He said, "485 is a traffic stop for most of the morning and most of the afternoon. And the growth continues to accelerate here.. so it's just not happening. It needs to be done."

Doing it the right way adding the extra lanes in the median.. seen as a permanent fix is expected to cost upwards of $75 million.

Using the shoulders is a cheaper and quicker alternative to alleviate congestion.

It's not the NC DOT's most preferred plan.  It would rather add an extra lane in each direction in the median.  But the earliest that could happen is 2015.

Other areas of the state are also looking into using the shoulders for traffic.  But all that depends on what happens here in Mecklenburg County.

Copyright 2010 WBTV. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Dog poop feud among Rock Hill neighbors escalates to mysteriously delivered bag of ...

    Dog poop feud among Rock Hill neighbors escalates to mysteriously delivered bag of ...

    Sunday, March 26 2017 2:54 PM EDT2017-03-26 18:54:23 GMT
    This dog is not believed to be a suspect in the neighborhood disputeThis dog is not believed to be a suspect in the neighborhood dispute

    Have you had your fill, so to speak, of neighbors using your lawn as one big canine restroom? Well, one Rock Hill woman told police she was victimized in what may be an escalating dog poop war in that town’s Ridge Pointe neighborhood, reports the Rock Hill Herald. 

    More >>

    Have you had your fill, so to speak, of neighbors using your lawn as one big canine restroom? Well, one Rock Hill woman told police she was victimized in what may be an escalating dog poop war in that town’s Ridge Pointe neighborhood, reports the Rock Hill Herald. 

    More >>
  • Domestic disturbance in NE Charlotte ends in shooting

    Domestic disturbance in NE Charlotte ends in shooting

    Sunday, March 26 2017 1:03 PM EDT2017-03-26 17:03:51 GMT

    A man was shot in northeast Charlotte Sunday morning in what family members say was the result of violent domestic disturbance. Police say the incident happened just before 8 a.m. in the 1900 block of Prospect Drive. The father of the woman who lives at the home told WBTV his daughter, her baby, and another man were at the home when an ex-boyfriend arrived and kicked the door in.  The father said the ex-boyfriend started beating the woman when the other man at the home sh...

    More >>

    A man was shot in northeast Charlotte Sunday morning in what family members say was the result of violent domestic disturbance. Police say the incident happened just before 8 a.m. in the 1900 block of Prospect Drive. The father of the woman who lives at the home told WBTV his daughter, her baby, and another man were at the home when an ex-boyfriend arrived and kicked the door in.  The father said the ex-boyfriend started beating the woman when the other man at the home sh...

    More >>
  • Family: Please help us, lost phone has only photos of our baby who died

    Family: Please help us, lost phone has only photos of our baby who died

    Friday, March 24 2017 4:32 PM EDT2017-03-24 20:32:17 GMT

    But for a Charlotte mom, losing her cell phone means losing some of the last pictures she has of her little baby boy Ashton, who died in November.

    More >>

    But for a Charlotte mom, losing her cell phone means losing some of the last pictures she has of her little baby boy Ashton, who died in November.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly