Aromatic Cinnamon-Almond Pound Cake with Fresh Macerated Strawberries and Georgia Peaches, topped with a Lavender Chantilly and Toasted Almonds
Presented by Blair R. Cannon, CC
Hospitality Teaching & VP of IFSEA ~ Johnson & Wales University
Cinnamon-Almond Pound Cake
Yield: 2 pound cakes
2 (9in X 3in approx metal baking pan) Greased with butter
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3.25 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 tbs +1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With a mixer attached with a paddle, cream butter and shortening together.
- Add sugar, and cream until fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition and scrapping bowl.
- Add extracts and cinnamon.
- Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour.
- Pour into greased pans and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack until room temperature.
Fresh Strawberry and Peach Sauce
Yield: 6 cups
2 quarts Fresh Strawberries or 1 pound frozen strawberries, quartered, saving 1 cup of quartered berries for garnish
3 cups Fresh Peaches or frozen peaches, quartered
1 ea lemon, zested, and juiced
1.5 cups sugar, granulated
1 cup white wine (chardonnay or Riesling)
- Add all ingredients, except top two fruits, to sauce pot and bring to simmer in order to dissolve sugar, infuse lemon zest, and cook off alcohol (if desired)
- Add fruit and place heat on low for 10-15 minutes until fruit is soft, but still holds up some texture
- Once finished, cool to room temperature
Yield: 1.5 quarts
1 quart heavy whipping cream
1.25 cups sugar granulated
1.5 tsp dried Lavender
½ tsp vanilla extract or ½ vanilla bean scrapped or seeds
- In sauce pot bring all ingredients to a low barely simmering heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly in order to infuse lavender.
- Strain through fine mesh strainer, and cool to below 40 degrees.(COLD)
- Once chilled, add all ingredients to a mixer attached with a whip
- Whip to medium to heavy peaks for spooning the Chantilly
- Place in refrigerator