Bruton Smith lashes out at Concord, Cabarrus officials - | WBTV Charlotte

Bruton Smith lashes out at Concord, Cabarrus officials

By David Whisenant - bio l email

CONCORD, NC (WBTV) - Charlotte Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith had strong words today for elected officials in Concord and Cabarrus County.

"You've got some elected officials over there that lie," Smith told WBTV.  "They are liars, if they were standing here right now I would tell them they are liars, they owe us the money and they should pay their bills."

The dispute is over when Smith is supposed to be paid by the city and county for work he had done around Charlotte Motor Speedway.  It was part of the agreement reached to keep CMS in Concord after a bitter dispute flared up over the construction of the zMax Dragway.

That controversy had Smith claiming he would move CMS out of the state.

A last minute agreement was reached when Smith was presented a $60 million package that was a combination mostly of state and local money.

Smith claims the city and county owe him at least some of that money now for improvements such as engineering studies done on roads near the track. 

In the past city and county leaders said the agreement does not contain a timeline and that it (the agreement) allows Smith to be rapid over the next several decades.

Late last year Smith filed a lawsuit against the city and county.

Reached on Thursday afternoon one representative from the city said only that a hearing on the issue was being set up for sometime in the late spring.

Smith also told WBTV that late last week he signed a number of checks paying his local taxes and causing him to question why he bothered.

"What in the world am I doing sending money to them when they owe us money, but I don't guess there is anything we can do about it, so I paid my taxes."

Powered by Frankly