Good News: Right place at the right time - | WBTV Charlotte

Good News: Right place at the right time

By Kristen Hampton - bio l email    

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - What started out as a routine quality service check for Eddie Parr, turned into a heroic effort to save a customers home from catching fire.

Parr is a technician with Time Warner Cable. He was checking out some work near a customer's power box when he heard an unusual buzzing sound.

Parr checked a grounding wire with a voltage meter and found a serious problem.

Meanwhile, 86 year old Bey Grunder was inside and noticed his electrical appliances were acting strange. Grunder says his toaster was heating up way too fast and his radio was making a buzzing sound.

A grounding wire was surging way too much electricity into Grunder's town home. The surge was melting anything plugged into an outlet.

Parr immediately took his findings to the homeowner and said smoke was starting to fill the home.

Parr says he quickly pulled a TV out of an entertainment center that was beginning to shoot flames. Parr unplugged several other appliances and turned off the power to the home.

Grunder says the quick actions of the technician likely saved his home. Parr says he was just doing his job.

Send us your Good News! E-mail us at goodnews@wbtv.com

Powered by Frankly