(The following information is from the Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services.)
MECKLENBURG COUNTY, NC - The Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services is pleased to announce a new transportation program that will assist low-income residents of Mecklenburg County with transportation costs involved in going to and from work and work-related activities.
The Employment Supplemental Funds Program was awarded by the State of North Carolina Department of Transportation to help individuals with the cost of transportation to work-related activities.
The funds will be used to provide monthly gas vouchers and bus passes to individuals who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must work at least 15 hours per week
- Must have not received Transitional Transportation Assistance from DSS within the past 12 months
- Income must fall within 200 percent of the poverty guideline
- Must provide one month's pay stubs or verification of work-related training with the application
- Must provide proof of a valid N.C. license and N.C. vehicle registration if applying for a gas voucher
- Must have valid vehicle insurance and be current with county taxes if applying for gas voucher