Prepared by Johnson & Wales University Culinary Student Kaitlin Guest
Blackberry Butter Cream
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-oz.) package plus 1 cup powdered sugar
1. Beat first 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended and smooth after each addition.
White Vanilla Cake
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
6 egg whites
Preheat oven to 325. Grease and line 2 9-inch cake pans with parchment.
Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
With a mixer on slow speed, add flour mixture to the butter mixture,
alternately with milk. Beat after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold them into the cake batter gently, making sure not to over mix. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Place cake pans on cooling rack and allow to cool completely before removing from pans.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 stick butter, cut into pats and chilled