Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 12:35 PM EDT2013-05-22 16:35:40 GMT
Investigators in York County say someone removed nearly 100 Confederate Flags from a cemetery in Clover. The incident was reported on May 20th at the cemetery beside the Bethany Church on Highway 161,More >>
Investigators in York County say someone removed nearly 100 Confederate Flags from a cemetery in Clover.More >>
Friday, May 17 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-17 23:16:53 GMT
One person has died in a crash near Harrisonville, MO, Thursday evening. The crash happened on Missouri Highway 7 and Walker Road. It involved a car and a tractor-trailer. Harrisonville is in Cass County.More >>
Savannah Nash celebrated her 16th birthday last week. She died Thursday when her car slammed into a semi while she was texting during her first time driving by herself.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 5:07 PM EDT2013-05-22 21:07:47 GMT
A year-end prank saw students raise a Confederate battle flag outside a Forsyth County high school. The Winston-Salem Journal reported Wednesday that the North Carolina Confederate battle flag was runMore >>
A year-end prank saw students raise a Confederate battle flag outside a North Carolina high school.More >>
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A retired priest who served at several parishes in the Catholic Diocese of Charlotte and is facing sex abuse allegations turned himself into authorities Thursday afternoon.
Michael Joseph Kelleher, 82, turned himself into the Magistrate's Office in Stanly County where he was served for indecent liberties with a child.
He was given a $5,000 bond and was released after posting bond. He is scheduled to appear in court on August 8th.
Kelleher is accused of molesting a 14-year-old boy in 1977.
"We have a solid case," said Albemarle Police Chief Ronnie Michael.
Despite a lack of physical evidence, Michael said both sides are cooperating, which has helped the investigation.
Through a message board set up to help abuse victims cope, the victim wrote that Kelleher molested him repeatedly in the rectory.
The victim said he felt guilty about coming forward, but also wants the priest to pay for the alleged crimes.
He came forward to police in September. Michael says a short time later, his department notified the Diocese.
David Hains, a spokesperson for the Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, said church officials did not immediately place Kelleher on administrative leave until they knew more facts about the case.
Seth Langson, an attorney with Karro, Sellers & Langson, is representing the victim. Langson, declined comment on this case, but did represent another victim who helped convict another former Charlotte priest.
Langson won a million dollar settlement from the Diocese of Charlotte in that case. Robert Yurgel is now serving time in prison.
Kelleher has served at several parishes across the area including St. Patrick in Charlotte (1966), Our Lady of the Annunciation in Albemarle (1973), Our Lady of the Assumption in Charlotte (1977) and Saint Dorothy in Lincolnton (1998). He retired in July of 1999. (Click here to see the list of parishes where Kelleher served.)
Currently, Kelleher is the chaplain at Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School in Kernersville which is located near Winston-Salem. The Diocese has placed him on administrative leave pending an investigation into the allegations.
A statement posted on the website for the Catholic Diocese of Charlotte said church officials are "...cooperating fully with the investigation by the authorities" and is conducting its own investigation.
The Diocese also said it "...has a commitment to providing a safe environment for all people, especially the young and vulnerable."
In response to the allegations against Kelleher, Peter Isely with the group SNAP (The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests), released the following statement on Wednesday:
The Charlotte diocese claims the alleged abuse happened "years ago". It's disturbing that, whenever a brave victim comes forward, Catholic officials stress how long ago the crimes happened. This is a bald-faced effort to distance themselves from the horror of child sexual assault, and lull parishioners and the public into believing that a dangerous predator is somehow less dangerous because of the mere passage of time. Instead of routinely practicing this ‘damage control,' Catholic officials should be reminding people that child predators rarely stop molesting and, in fact, often get more shrewd and cunning and effective over time, because they learn how to better pick kids who can't tell or won't be believed and how to better 'explain away' their suspicious behavior.