Man charged in deadly shooting during Charlotte protests ruled capable to continue trial

Jury selection in Rayquan Borum trial to wrap next week

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - The man that is accused of firing a shot that killed a protester during the 2016 Charlotte Protests has been ruled capable to continue in his trial.

Rayquan Borum is charged in the shooting death of Justin Carr near the Omni Hotel during the protests that followed the deadly CMPD shooting of Kieth Scott.

The trial began Monday but a number of legal issues have delayed the trail from continuing.

The defense team representing Borum raised the issue of Borum’s mental health on Thursday. They claimed that their client had taken a form of medication that was making him groggy. At one point on Thursday, Borum was seen dozing off in court.

“We need Mr. Borum alert, capable, and awake during his trial,” said Superior Court Judge Greg Hayes.

Judge Hayes ordered a medical evaluation to be completed on Borum. That evaluation was completed Thursday evening and Friday morning. The doctor that conducted the evaluation ruled that Borum is capable to understand and participate in his trial.

The court agreed with that ruling.

Earlier this week, the defense had lost of number of requests to suppress evidence, including a video of Borum confessing to police 2 days after the shooting. In that video, Borum says he never intended to hurt anyone.

Judge Hayes dismissed the potential jurors Thursday and ordered them to return Monday morning.

The attorneys for both state and the defense told WBTV it was their understanding, “that all matters have been dealt with and jury selection is to continue Monday morning.”

Borum faces life in prison if convicted of first-degree murder.

Copyright 2019 WBTV. All rights reserved.