CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -The trial for the man police say fired a shot that killed a protester during the 2016 protests started Monday.
Rayquan Borum is accused of firing the shot that killed Justin Carr during the September riots over the police shooting death of Keith Lamont Scott.
Borum, who is now 24, rejected a plea deal earlier that would have had him serve roughly 16 years for a second-degree murder charge.
The events of that night are still debated. Police say there are videos and witness statements, including a confession from Borum, that tie him to the killing. However, other protesters still believe a rubber bullet from a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police officer killed Carr.
The mother of Justin Carr has said the past that she wants that narrative to stop. She says her son, Justin, was in Uptown taking part in his first ever protest when he was killed.
Before jury selection started, there was a suppression hearing for a taped confession video Borum gave to police two days after Carr’s death. In that video, Borum denies bringing a gun to uptown Charlotte and running away as soon as he heard the shots. However, later in the interview with police, Borum admits to firing the shot but that it was an accident.
Jury selection will begin once the pre-trial hearings are complete. If Borum is convicted, he faces life in prison.