GASTONIA, NC (WBTV) - Three children escaped a one-story house fire in Gastonia early Wednesday morning.
The fire started around 2 a.m. on Baker Boulevard. Officials say they arrived on the scene and noticed smoke coming from the home. The three children who were left alone at the time of the fire heard the alarm and was able to escape, according to officials on the scene.
The children ran to a neighbor’s house to call 911. No one was injured but officials say a pet died due to smoke.
Officials say when they entered the home they encountered a fire in the kitchen which was extinguished in 10 minutes. The fire was caused by food that was left unattended while cooking on the stove.
The fire caused an estimated $15,000 in damages.
Officials have not said where the guardians may have been during the time of the fire or if any charges will be filed.