3 men dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in Rock Hill

3 men dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in Rock Hill

YORK COUNTY, SC (WBTV) - Officials say three men are dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in Rock Hill Saturday afternoon.

Deputies responded to the 100 block of Cherry Street off Red River Road Saturday around 5 p.m. When they got to the scene, officials found three men unconscious and not breathing.

After an investigation, deputies say, there were no signs of foul play - but firefighters reported elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside the home.

Officials say the three men were Hispanic and ages 37, 29, and 25. Their names have not been released.

Neighbors say when they arrived home they found first responders up and down their block.

"It was probably four to five fire trucks, about eight to ten emergency vehicles, and we didn't know what was going on," said Salley Aldridge.

Neighbors say when they found out what happened they were devastated. They say the wife of one of the victims had not heard from her husband, so she came to the house to check on him and that's when the bodies were found.

Neighbors say the men had been working on the house for weeks trying to make it a family home. They say the men used a generator inside the home and possibly fell asleep with it on. Investigators have not confirmed that information.

“They’ve been working so hard on that place,” Aldridge said. “Every weekend they are out there - every Saturday, Sunday. They have been spending the night I think some nights. I can’t imagine spending these cold nights in there and all the hard work they put into it.”

Aldridge says this incident is sad and that neighbors are grieving with the family.

The official cause of death will be released after an autopsy is completed by the York County Coroner’s Office.

Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved.